As your website’s security is an investment, you should take care of it right from the launch date. Your website is not only the traffic or readers who visit it – it is also a potential source of revenue which can be lost if you don’t pay enough attention to your site’s security.
There are many plugins, services, apps that claim to help you to secure your site. However, sometimes it is hard to choose between the variety of different plugins and providers.
How to know which plugins are reliable? Will they decrease the speed of my site? We did a research of most popular security and privacy oriented WordPress plugins and below you will find a TOP7 list of must-have/nice to have plugins.
Before we move forward, here are the requirements that should make the plugin worth using:
- File scanning
- Malware scanning
- 24/7 monitoring
- Admin login brute-force protection
- Instant notifications once when a security threat occurs
- Sucuri Security
- iThemes security
- WP fail2ban
- Google 2FA
- Shield Security
1. JetpackMost of WordPress site owners are already familiar with the plugin called Jetpack. It is a tool made by wordpress.com itself. Overall, Jetpack has many features related to spam protection, speed optimization and social media.
- Free Content Delivery Network (CDN) for WordPress using Photon
- Site Uptime & Downtime Monitoring
- Build a Contact Form in WordPress
- Secure Authentication and WordPress.com Login
- Multiple Sites from a Single Dashboard at WordPress.com
- Premium plans have such benefits as site back-ups, scanning and spam protection
2. Sucuri SecurityThe Sucuri Security plugin was built for security activity auditing. It has file monitoring, blacklist monitoring. It sends you notifications about possible security threats and many more. Sucuri is a popular plugin that also comes with a free version. And premium option brings some feature as customer service or more and frequent scans.
- Security Activity Auditing.
- Malware Scanning.
- Blacklist Monitoring.
- Effective Security Hardening.
- Post-Hack Security Actions.
- Security Notifications.
3. iThemes securityiThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) is one of the top security-orientated plugins that gives you over 30+ ways to secure and protect your website. It is a really nice and simple tool for every WordPress site owner to use.
- WordPress Brute Force Protection.
- File Change Detection.
- 404 Error Detection.
- Password Enforcement.
- Hide Login & Admin. …
- Database Backups.
4. SecupressSecuPress was designed to correct existing WordPress security problems. The plugin also allows administrators to protect their site in just a few clicks. The plugin is actually super easy to use and offers a very good protection without slowing down your website. It constantly gives you updates about security of the site and tips how to improve the overall performance.
- Blocks bot visits
- Anti bruteforce
- 2FA feature
- Ability to block specific IP’s
5. WP fail2banWP fail2ban is a very simple and effective security solution you can implement to prevent brute-force attacks on your site. The plugin basically records all logins and later on blocks or notifies the site owner about unsuccessful attempts to the access admin panel.
- Log pingbacks
- Change the logfile
- Block user enumeration attempts
- Shortcut the login process if a specified username is provided
6. Google 2FAAlthough Google 2FA is not a plugin, we recommend having this on all platforms where sensitive information is stored. People are using different social media websites, banking, email services, it is already usual to have a 2FA set-up to secure your personal profile(s). If your website’s security is a concern, you should definitely implement a 2FA for the WP-Admin login page as well.
Just to let you know, no super hard coding is needed and everything can be done with the help of the Google Authenticator app. The app will send you a one-time use secret code directly to your phone every time you’re willing to log in to the admin panel. In that case, you will be aware of when someone is trying to log in to your site without your knowledge
7. Shield SecurityEasy-to-setup, but Shield Security is a powerful plugin that blocks suspicious activities on your site. We personally think that Shield Security is the must-have, free Security Solution for WordPress sites. It does not put extra load on the site, but can save you in lots of cases such as: IP blacklisting, unsuccessful login limits, spam comments blockage.
- Plugin / Themes Hack Detection Scanner.
- More Frequent Scans – as often as every hour.
- Protection for your WooCommerce customers
- Remember-Me 2-Factor Authentication.
- Powerful Password Policies.
- Anti DDoS feature
Keep in mind that only plugins will never make you 100% secure. Have strong password requirements, avoid logging in to admin panel through unsafe Wi-FI networks (unless you are using a VPN service) and of course – do not share any personal details to anyone.